Newsletter Coordinator: Roshema Mel, University of Manitoba
CIFST Student committee 2022/23
Anthony Bassey is a final year Ph.D. student majoring in Meat Microbiology at the National Center of Meat Quality and Safety Control, Nanjing Agricultural University, China. His doctoral research focuses on identifying and characterizing spoilage microbiome in modified atmosphere/air-packaged fresh pork loins under chilled and super-chilled storage and elucidating their spoilage mechanisms using innovative technologies (high-throughput sequencing, sensory, and omics technologies).
Since his program, Anthony has published seven first-author papers and co-authored more than 25 in top SCI journals.
Anthony has won several awards in the school, including the “Excellence both in Studies and Behavior Award.” In June, he was awarded the Student Leadership Award at the Canadian Food Summit in Ontario, Canada, for his outstanding leadership role as the Vice Chair (Student Committee) of the Canadian Institute of Food Science and Technology. In August, he became the Chair for the 2022/23 session.
CISFT student membership
- Our current membership stands at 374 student members. Student members can attend the webinars and events organized by CIFST at a reduced cost or even free.
- The CIFST national association has local sections or chapters in each region, therefore CIFST members get the chance to work with students across Canada and stay updated about what’s next in their region.
- All students in the field of food science are encouraged to join CIFST as student members.
- We also welcome you to invite your peers and colleagues.
- Maple Innovation Challenge (Concludes January, 2023)
- Knowledge Bites Webinar: The future of biologicals as a solution to ensure food security, January 25, 2023
- Knowledge Bites Webinar: Supply chain issues, global shortages and food fraud, February 8, 2023
- 2023 Canadian Food Summit – CIFST National Conference, June 7 – 9, 2023
British Columbia Section
- BCFT Supplier Night, March 1, 2023
- Plant Tour, Little Brown Jug, November 30, 2022
- Holiday Volunteering, tentative date of December 10, 2022
- Technical Seminar, January 2023
- Student Career Night, February 2023
- Made in Manitoba Series, March 2023
- Manitoba School Science Symposium, April 2023
- Annual General Meeting, May 2023
Table Top Event 2023, Date TBA
Suppliers Night 2023, Date TBA
CIFST website and LinkedIn page
Please visit our website for more updated information, https://www.cifst.ca/
In addition to the online community CIFST has a LinkedIn page, to which you can request access through the link below: