Three Minute Thesis Competition (3MT®)
The first annual Three Minute Thesis 3MT® competition took place at the 2022 Annual Food Summit in Guelph, Ontario on June 1, 2022. The 3MT® is an excellent opportunity for graduate students to showcase their research and its significance to a non-specialist audience in three minutes or less. It challenges their ability to communicate and present complex aspects of their research to a general audience in an engaging manner, using only one slide!
Congratulations to 3MT® WINNER, Hannah Charnock, Ph.D. candidate, Brock University – Cool Climate Oenology & Viticulture Institute.
Congratulations to runner-up recipients Kaiwen Mu, Ph.D. candidate in the Department of Food Science at UBC and Louis A. Colaruotolo, Ph.D. candidate at the University of Guelph Department of Food Science. Louis is also the recipient of the People’s Choice Award.
Here is a little bit of history:
Established by The University of Queensland (UQ) in 2008, 3MT® is now held in at least 900 universities across more than 80 countries worldwide.
The Dean of UQ’s Graduate School, Professor Alastair McEwan, said 3MT® was designed to develop skills that will give students an important career advantage once they complete their studies.
3MT® provides a unique opportunity to profile and celebrate the innovative research conducted by postgraduate research candidates from around the world.
Here are the rules for the 3MT®:
• A single static PowerPoint slide is permitted (no slide transitions, animations or “movement” of any description allowed).
• The slide is to remain in view for the duration of the oration.
• No additional electronic media (e.g., sound and/or video files) are permitted.
• No props (e.g., costumes, musical instruments, laboratory equipment, phones, etc.) are permitted.
• Presentations are limited to three minutes maximum; competitors exceeding three minutes are automatically disqualified.
Participants will be given a 30-second visual or audio warning.
• All presentations must be spoken (i.e., no poems, raps, or songs).
• Presentations are considered commenced when a presenter starts the presentation through movement or speech.
• The decision of the judges is final.
How did we came up with the finalists?
Participating institutions were asked to hold an internal 3MT competition and to select one finalist to advance into the 3MT finals by April 21, 2022.
More information about 3MT® is available at www.threeminutethesis.org